In this episode of the Business Mentor Podcast, we hear Jay answers questions during the Q&A session during a talk about ‘Property as a Business & Multiple Streams of Income’ which was held last February 26 in Long Eaton Hub. He met with fellow property investors, and he was an absolute inspiration and a mentor to all of them.
Jay also talked about his businesses – how did he start and grow them, what efforts he has to put in them, and what obstacles he has to face every single day. If you want to increase your streams of income, make sure to take down notes of what Jay has to say about it.
- When to start your brand and create your content? The ‘brand’ can just be doing one or two post on your Facebook. When Jay began the Business Mentor Podcast slowly. It wasn’t getting enough engagements, but this didn’t let him stop producing content. But now, he was able to monetise it and invest the money to the team.
- He sets up the systems to set up his brand with the help of his staff and technology.
- When something unexpected happens, what do you do with it? Acknowledge the fact that not everything you do will go as you planned. Be ready for it and condition yourself that there will be times that you’re going to do things outside your comfort zone.
- Sometimes you’ll have to stay in and won’t be able to go home to get a shower or see your family. There are sacrifices.
- What is passion? Jay’s mentor advised, “If you do something well enough and it makes you money, it makes you passionate about it.” That’s the way it goes. Passion is overrated and makes some money.
- What drives Jay to do the podcast? Jay answers the legacy out of it, and he’s able to help other people. He’s happy that he’s doing what he loves right now.
- What do you do if you want to start a business (i.e. coaching business)?
- Think of what you can charge.
- Offer them a demo service for free.
- High ticket – Think of what events could you offer.
- Start small.
- Should you use LinkedIn? LinkedIn is one of the hottest platforms. It’s easier to network and get some resources on the platform.
- “You got to get on with it. Sometimes you got to get dirty.”
- “For me, I work for mentors that are above me. I look up to them and think, ‘I want to be on your level.’”
- “Don’t think of building your social media to build this massive platform. Just build a core group of people and built it slowly.”
ABOUT THE HOST
Jay Dhillon is a serial entrepreneur, investor and philanthropist based in the UK with a proven track record of growing businesses from start-up to success- and helping others do the same. From humble beginnings, Jay grew his first business from 0-500 employees and three locations, racking up sales of over £30 million – all without any investment other than a small amount of savings. The business went on to acquire major clients such as Landrover, Jaguar, Toyota and New Look, to name a few.
Its huge success inevitably brought about outside interest and at the age of 33, Jay eventually sold the company to a London investment firm in Doyen Resources. Today, Jay owns several businesses in different sectors and helps entrepreneurs achieve success.
A calling to give back and help others led to Jay being chosen for the highly-coveted role as a Prince’s Trust mentor, where his achievements were marked by a personal invitation to Buckingham Palace to meet Prince Charles.
After helping several young entrepreneurs to success as a mentor for the Trust, Jay’s burning desire to bring his wisdom and knowledge to a wider audience ultimately triggered the concept of The Business Mentor Podcast.
Jay feels that anyone can achieve success in business with the right advice and mentoring and is now sharing his knowledge with his growing audience via his podcast.
In the UK alone 95% of business fail within the first five years and Jay’s aim is to reduce that number.
Backed with the hard-earned knowledge and experience from his time in business, The Business Mentor Podcast will share Jay’s personal business lessons as well those of other successful entrepreneur guests who share their wisdom and secrets on the show.