Jay has a great philosophy about how to get things done when you face any challenging situation in business. The flight and fight mode of thinking is a powerful tool that Jay shares with his mentees and it has proven successful across many different challenges.
During the day as entrepreneurs, you are constantly thinking and it is these thought processes that put you in either flight or fight mode.
Fight mode is not positive and will not enable you to find the solution you need to move forward but if you get yourself into flight mode you are being business savvy and will be able to think creatively, find a solution and move forward.
- In any situation, you have to make a conscious choice about whether you respond in a fight or flight mode.
- Fight mode is when you are tense – looking at problems, thinking that the world is against me. It’s my fault, their fault you don’t take responsibility
- Flight mode is when you frame your thinking in a more positive way – e.g. If the client hasn’t paid, why haven’t they paid there must be a reason, can we sort out a payment plan.
- If you are in fight mode you are personally getting angry and are not thinking forward to a possible solution
- If you are in fight mode you are not going to get to the problem and you cannot solve a problem unless you can think creatively about it.
- If something negative happens you have to get into flight mode to be able to work on it and solve the problem so that you can move forward.
- In business, you are going to get challenges every day and so you need to be thinking about flight mode every day so that you are in the right frame of mind to solve the problems
- If something big happens it’s even more important that you get into flight mode so that you can think creatively to find a solution.
- If you have a situation – remember to ask yourself how will it best serve me if I go into fight mode? – blaming myself and blaming others?
- Choosing to go into flight mode means looking at the opportunities and what changes and steps you can take to make this better, and get through it successfully.
‘When you look back you will see it was not as big as it seemed when you were facing it initially’
‘At the time it seems massive but if you keep working through it and keep doing things, things will change’
‘All creative thinking comes when you are in flight mode’
ABOUT THE HOST
Jay Dhillon is a serial entrepreneur, investor and philanthropist based in the UK with a proven track record of growing businesses from start-up to success- and helping others do the same. From humble beginnings, Jay grew his first business from 0 to 500 employees and three locations, racking up sales of over £30 million – all without any investment other than a small amount of savings. The business went on to acquire major clients such as Landrover, Jaguar, Toyota and New Look, to name a few.
Its huge success inevitably brought about outside interest, and at the age of 33, Jay eventually sold the company to a London investment firm in Doyen Resources. Today, Jay owns several businesses in different sectors and helps entrepreneurs achieve success.
A calling to give back and help others led to Jay being chosen for the highly coveted role as a Prince’s Trust mentor, where his achievements were marked by a personal invitation to Buckingham Palace to meet Prince Charles.
After helping several young entrepreneurs to success as a mentor for the Trust, Jay’s burning desire to bring his wisdom and knowledge to a wider audience ultimately triggered the concept of The Business Mentor Podcast.
Jay feels that anyone can achieve success in business with the right advice and mentoring and is now sharing his knowledge with his growing audience via his podcast.
In the UK alone, 95% of business fail within the first five years, and Jay’s aim is to reduce that number.
Backed with the hard-earned knowledge and experience from his time in business, The Business Mentor Podcast will share Jay’s personal business lessons as well those of other successful entrepreneur guests who share their wisdom and secrets on the show.