If you’re feeling a bit lost or jaded in the game of life, this episode could serve as a compass and direct you to your true destination.
Today on The Business Mentor Podcast, Jay Dhillon talks to Paul Howe, the HEARTS and minds mentor, about the value of finding your true purpose at the very beginning of every journey, may it be in your career, your business, or your life, in general. Paul also shares his own inspiring stories which he owes a lot to because if not for these experiences, he won’t be as impactful to other people as he is right now. Discover how he got over addiction and the ‘all or nothing’ mindset since being dragged by these kinds of setback is what you should avoid. After the realizations and finding his “Why?”, everything became clear to him – he’s meant to help other people.
- Paul Howe shares his personal stories that shaped him who he is today. He shares how he has witnessed domestic violence, physical & verbal abuse at an early age. So, to cope with the psychological and emotional burden, he acquired addiction – addiction to the Nottingham Forest Football club and alcohol. This led him to lose jobs and relationships.
- He then realized that the ‘all or nothing’ mindset he got from his experiences, is not sustainable. You can’t give what you don’t have. He was emotionally unstable to help others like he wanted to.
- “I knew what my purpose was but didn’t have the emotional currency to fulfil it so he went to a personal development… We’re human beings so it’s okay to be vulnerable.”
- Paul considers Deepak Chopra and Tony Robbins as his mentors.
- Acceptance is good. You have to open yourself to the world. Accept defeat if it happened. Accept that you need help. Accept that there are other people who are more capable than you.
- Have the strength to show vulnerability and say that you don’t know anything.
- If you’re looking to go into business, find that purpose. Know the power of questioning yourself: What is your end result? What are you striving for? Is it a balance?
- Set your vision but once you start the journey, you have to be adaptable. Stop being fixated with what the outcome would be. It won’t be a smooth journey so you have to let go and enjoy it.
- Jay shares what he loves about mentoring – giving back knowledge and also learning from others. Sharing your experience and seeing a person become successful is very fulfilling.
- “The two biggest fears we have in our life is not being good enough and not being loved.” – Paul
- “I was developing these survival skills at a high level. But more importantly, the beacon I add through all my own personal challenges was the fact that I was here to serve others… and become very aware of that.” – Paul
- “You can’t give what you don’t have.” – Paul
- “You gotta believe… you’ll get to a point in life where you’ll get something of value. A setback is just part of life.” – Jay
- “When you wanna get from A to B. Don’t worry too much about connecting the dots… How do I get there? It will happen. You just gotta put the work in and believe the direction that you’re taking.” – Jay
- Emerging From The Forest: From Pain to Purpose (Mastering the Game of Life)by Paul D. Lowe
- Nottingham Forest Football Club
- Deepak Chopra
- Tony Robbins
- Mastering Life Podcast
ABOUT THE HOST
Jay Dhillon is a serial entrepreneur, investor and philanthropist based in the UK with a proven track record of growing businesses from start-up to success- and helping others do the same. From humble beginnings, Jay grew his first business from 0-500 employees and three locations, racking up sales of over £30 million – all without any investment other than a small amount of savings. The business went on to acquire major clients such as Landrover, Jaguar, Toyota and New Look, to name a few.
Its huge success inevitably brought about outside interest and at the age of 33, Jay eventually sold the company to a London investment firm in Doyen Resources. Today, Jay owns several businesses in different sectors and helps entrepreneurs achieve success.
A calling to give back and help others led to Jay being chosen for the highly-coveted role as a Prince’s Trust mentor, where his achievements were marked by a personal invitation to Buckingham Palace to meet Prince Charles.
After helping several young entrepreneurs to success as a mentor for the Trust, Jay’s burning desire to bring his wisdom and knowledge to a wider audience ultimately triggered the concept of The Business Mentor Podcast.
Jay feels that anyone can achieve success in business with the right advice and mentoring and is now sharing his knowledge with his growing audience via his podcast.
In the UK alone 95% of business fail within the first five years and Jay’s aim is to reduce that number.
Backed with the hard-earned knowledge and experience from his time in business, The Business Mentor Podcast will share Jay’s personal business lessons as well those of other successful entrepreneur guests who share their wisdom and secrets on the show.
ABOUT THE GUEST (PAUL LOWE)
Something that’s never been attached to Paul is the label ‘normal’ – for which he is immensely proud. He definitely subscribes to being one of those mentioned – in the Steve Jobs quote:
“Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
Paul Lowe is ‘The Third Sector Mentor’ and makes a difference by helping you make a difference. He is totally committed to his HEARTS brand vision (an acronym) of: ‘Helping Everyone Achieve Results Towards Success’.
Paul has a long and distinguished track record of raising significant funds for a multitude of good causes; positively changing the lives of many disadvantaged children within the UK and globally – drawing on his colourful and wide-ranging life’s experiences to help others do the same and achieve success in The Game Of Life.
“Remember – Mastering Life Starts, By Embracing Our HEARTS!”